History of The Murray House
This large plantation home was built facing the old cart
path between Kenansville and Warsaw in 1853 by Dr. Needham
Whitfield Herring. Dr. Herring was a medical doctor with a
degree from UNC Chapel Hill and a Presbyterian minister. Dr.
Herring’s handwritten journal still exists, and describes
the day-by-day account of building this high-style Greek Revival
plantation home that is listed on the National Register of
In the early 1900s the Murray family purchased
the property and plantation house. A new road was built between
Warsaw and Kenansville and the house was moved to face the
new road. It took 30 days for one plug mule to move it approximately
300 yards and the Murray family continued to live in the home
while it was being moved. Mrs. Effie Murray’s brick flower
house, circa 1930, still exists along with an old carriage
house and smoke house.